My coworker gave me half of a Angel Food Cake and so it motivated me to try making it myself. The one she gave me was light and fluffy with the right amount of sweetness. It was my goal to make a cake similar to this.
I decided to make Almond Angel Food Cake Loaf and Mini cakes. The reason why I chose almond is because I love the aroma and the taste of it. The loaf is the perfect dessert for a big family while the mini cakes are perfect for single serving. I had more than just a serving of the mini cakes 🙂
Makes 12 mini cakes and 1 sponge cake loaf
12 eggs (egg whites)
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup warm water
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Separate the eggs (How to separate eggs yolk the easy way).
3. In a bowl, mix cake flour and 1/2 cup of sugar and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until the egg whites thickens and becomes frothy. Add in warm water, almond extract, cream of tartar and beat in 1/2 cup of sugar gradually and mix well.
5. Use a spatula and fold the frothy mixture to make sure ingredients are well incorporated. Then add the cake flour with the 1/2 cup of sugar into the frothy mixture and fold the mixture.
6.Pour batter into an ungreased loaf pan about 3/4 of the way. Use remaining batter into 12 muffin tins and bake at 325 degrees for one hour for the load, or until done. You can use a toothpick to see if the batter sticks onto the pick. The muffins will bake much quicker so bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until brown.