Days are getting colder and the nights are getting colder. It reminds me of my childhood when my mom would make me the Spicy Korean Soybean Sprout Soup which of course wasn’t spicy. I wasn’t a spicy food kind of kid. I would ward off anything that made my tough tingle.
My taste buds are much different as I crave spicy foods now! My has time changed. Well I wanted to share the Spicy Korean Soybean Sprout Soup and make what my mom still makes for me. I hope you like the recipe below!
Spicy Korean Soybean Sprout Soup
1 package 12 OZ (340g) Soybean Sprout
2 cloves of minced garlic
5 cups water
1 tsp soy sauce
3/4 tsp pink salt
1/2 tbs hot pepper flakes
1/2 onion (cut into thin strips)
1/2 tbs Sesame Oil
1 tbs sesame seeds (for garnish)
1 stalk green onion (diagonally sliced, for garnish)
1 sheet of roasted seaweed lavers
1. Rinse soybean sprouts thoroughly making sure to remove rotten sprouts.
2. In a large pot, add water, bean sprouts, soy sauce, salt, pepper flakes, and onion.
4. Close lid and boil over medium heat for 15 minutes.
5. Open lid and stir, then boil for 15 more minutes over low heat.
6. Add sesame oil and top with sesame seeds and green onion.
7. Serve with a side of seaweed lavers or top with crushed seaweed lavers.
8. Enjoy with a side of rice or just on its own 🙂